Wednesday 16 October 2013

Romania

Invited as a guest poet to the Brasov celebration of European women poets in Transylvania, I am the only native English speaker in a town so beautiful and brightly coloured with autumn reds and yellows that I am continually marvelling - a real feast for eyes and ears (Romanian being a mix of Slavic/Latin and its own very unique sounds). The beginnings of some good poetic friendships are also forged, in the shadow of not-the-vampire castle and the stunning peaks that surround the town.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Judy, I was just reading your blog after looking you up (I was shoarlisted in the Cinnamon single poem prize that you judged recently). I love that you were in Brasov. I love Romania so much! I've only been able to visit once, and only to Bucharest, but I find the culture and music from Romania inspiring! I have a poet friend from USA over in Romania on a Fulbright scholarship for a year I think. I forget which part of Transylvania she is based, it might be Cluj I think, but there is a good chance she might have been at the poetry festival in Brasov. Tara Skurtu is her name, and she teaches in Boston. I just thought I'd say hi. Buna ziua :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course I am forgetting to pay attention to the date of your post! You were in Brasov in 2013 and I am writing this in January 2016! sorry if any confusion! Giles

    ReplyDelete